Wei, Songqiao "Shawn"
Songqiao “Shawn” Wei is a seismologist with broad interests in Earth's mantle structures, particularly those associated with subduction zones. His recent work has been focused on imaging seismic structures of the Tonga-Lau subduction system, intermediate-depth seismicity in Tonga, and the mantle transition zone. One of his major interests in methodology is seismic attenuation. Meanwhile, he uses various seismic/geophysical techniques to study mantle discontinuities, subduction zones, and melt/volatiles in the mantle. He likes to collect fresh data from temporary seismic deployment (fun field work!), though he also works on global dataset.
Shawn is currently an assistant professor at MSU. He received degrees from Washington University in St. Louis (Ph.D. 2016, M.A. 2012) and Peking University (M.S. 2010, B.S. 2007), and worked at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego as a Green Scholar Postdoctoral Fellow from 2016 to 2017.
Shawn is looking for talented graduate students and postdocs! If you are interested in subduction zone and/or mantle structures, or if you are enthusiastic about field work (on-shore or off-shore), you may want to consider joining this group. Please email Shawn for potential projects. The Graduate Programs page has more academic information for prospective graduate students.
• Wei, S. S. and P. M. Shearer (2017), A sporadic low-velocity layer atop the 410-km discontinuity beneath the Pacific Ocean, J. Geophys. Res.
• Wei, S. S., D. A. Wiens, P. E. van Keken, and C. Cai (2017), Slab temperature controls on the Tonga double seismic zone and slab mantle dehydration, Science Adv., 3, e1601755, doi: 10.1126/sciadv.1601755.
• Wei, S. S., Y. Zha, W. Shen, D. A. Wiens, J. A. Conder, and S. C. Webb (2016), Upper mantle structure of the Tonga-Lau-Fiji region from Rayleigh wave tomography, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 17(11), 4705-4724, doi: 10.1002/2016GC006656.
• Wei, S. S. and Y. J. Chen (2016), Seismic evidence of the Hainan mantle plume by receiver function analysis in southern China, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43(17), 8978-8985, doi: 10.1002/2016GL069513.
• Wei, S. S., D. A. Wiens, Y. Zha, T. Plank, S. C. Webb, D. K. Blackman, R. A. Dunn, and J. A. Conder (2015), Seismic evidence of effects of water on melt transport in the Lau back-arc mantle, Nature, 518(7539), 395-398, doi: 10.1038/nature14113.