Graduate Student Support
Most of our graduate students are fully supported through research assistantships, teaching assistantships, or fellowships. These include a monthly stipend, a full waiver for tuition, and health benefits.
Highest-ranked applicants may qualify for one of three prestigious MSU fellowships. If you would like to be considered for one of these competitive fellowships, make sure to mention this in the cover letter of your application.
- University Distinguished Fellowships: full support for 5 years ($28,000, plus health insurance and tuition waiver)
- Environmental Science and Policy Program - Doctoral Recruiting Fellowships: full support in year 1 and 2 ($30,000), followed by Department support for 2 years
- College of Natural Science Fellowships: full support in 1st year ($24,000, plus health insurance and tuition waiver), followed by Department support for 1 or 3 years (MSc or PhD students, respectively)
- Dissertation Continutation award - applications solicited each semester
- Dissertation Completion award - applications solicited each semester
The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Michigan State University has newly endowed funds to support several competitive fellowships for outstanding PhD students.
Faculty Research Assistantships:
Research assistantships are available through externally funded projects to individual faculty advisors. Contact potential advisors directly for more information.
Department Teaching Assistantships:
The department has several TA positions available, which are made available to the best Graduate School applicants. Follow this link for a list of TA position descriptions.
Department Awards and Fellowships:
The department offers several merit-based supplementary scholarships and awards to outstanding graduate students:
- Lucile Drake Pringle and Gordon H. Pringle Endowed Fellowship
- Neal Research Scholarship
- Dr. Aureal T. Cross Endowed Graduate Fellowship
- Thomas A. Vogel Endowed Fund in Geology of the Solid Earth
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- Excellence in Masters Research Award
- Graduate Travel Grant