Prospective Graduate Students
If you would like to apply to our graduate program, your application will be given prompt consideration. The primary considerations in judging applicants are grade point average in upper division undergraduate courses, strength of background in supporting sciences (mathematics, physics and chemistry), and Graduate Record Examination scores in the verbal and quantitative tests; the subject test is not required. The deadline for applications is December 1st. Late applications may be considered. A completed application includes the following:
- A complete MSU application package.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended academic institutions. Unofficial transcripts from the Fall semester during which the application is submitted should be e-mailed to the Departmental Graduate Secretary (Pam Robinson) by January 5th.
- An original document stating official GRE scores.
- An original document stating official TOEFL scores (for international applicants). A minimum score of 575 (232 computer-based score when acceptable) is required to be considered for admission to our department; a minimum of 600 (250 computer-based score when acceptable) is required for financial aid consideration.
- Official TSE (Test of Spoken English; part of TOEFL) or SPEAK test score (for international applicants wishing to be considered for a teaching assistantship; minimum score of 50 is required for consideration).
- Provide a Statement of Purpose. This statement will serve as your academic statement on the application form and should include clarification on the area(s) of study and the corresponding faculty you are interested in, whether you have been in contact with any faculty, and what your future research/career plans are.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (use recommendation form included with University application).
Specific information for prospective students, as well as on-line applications for both domestic and international students are available for your convenience from the MSU Office of Admissions.